Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Thoughts from Elder Cook's Talk

I just read Elder Quentin L. Cook's most recent Conference talk. I really enjoyed it. Here is an excerpt from it that hit me hard:

A reporter for the Washington Post visited one of our Church meetings in Nigeria. The reporter interviewed one new member and told of his conversion. The reporter states:

“[He] said . . . he jumped off a city bus and walked into the [LDS Church building]. . . . He immediately liked what he heard inside [the chapel], especially that no one preached that people of other faiths were going to hell.” This echoes the feeling of numerous converts to the Church since its organization.

Our leaders have consistently counseled us “to live with respect and appreciation for those not of our faith. There is so great a need for civility and mutual respect among those of differing beliefs and philosophies.”

It is equally important that we be loving and kind to members of our own faith, regardless of their level of commitment or activity. The Savior has made it clear that we are not to judge each other. This is especially true of members of our own families. Our obligation is to love and teach and never give up.

I need to be more kind to everybody. I am really quick to judge--not so much those of other faiths, but those of my own who don't seem to be doing all they can. But it's not my place to judge; I just need to show unconditional love and charity, and do my best to make sure I'm keeping my own covenants.

No comments: