Saturday, May 30, 2009

Christofferson on Covenants

Last conference Elder D. Todd Christofferson gave a powerful talk on covenants. I just read over it, and wow! It really helped me quite a bit. I've been struggling a bit lately with doing my very best-- I feel like I've become a bit complacent. But this talk gave me quite the lift:

We need strong Christians who can persevere against hardship, who can sustain hope through tragedy, who can lift others by their example and their compassion, and who can consistently overcome temptations. We need strong Christians who can make important things happen by their faith and who can defend the truth of Jesus Christ against moral relativism and militant atheism.

In the covenant path we find a steady supply of gifts and help. "Charity never faileth" (1 Corinthians 13:8; Moroni 7:46), love begets love, compassion begets compassion, virtue begets virtue, commitment begets loyalty, and service begets joy. We are part of a covenant people, a community of Saints who encourage, sustain, and minister to one another. As Nephi explained, "And if it so be that the children of men keep the commandments of God he doth nourish them, and strengthen them" (1 Nephi 17:3).

Divine covenants make strong Christians. I urge each one to qualify for and receive all the priesthood ordinances you can and then faithfully keep the promises you have made by covenant. In times of distress, let your covenants be paramount and let your obedience be exact. Then you can ask in faith, nothing wavering, according to your need, and God will answer. He will sustain you as you work and watch. In His own time and way He will stretch forth his hand to you, saying, "Here am I."


I need to go to the temple MUCH more. I need to hold ever more tightly to my covenants, nothing wavering (especially when times get tough). Then and only then will I qualify for the Lord's aid and the presence of the Holy Ghost. Then and only then will I be happy.

No comments: