Thursday, May 28, 2009

Scripture of the Week: "Great are the Words of Isaiah."

As I've gone along in my Book of Mormon study this time around, I've made it to the portion of 2 Nephi in which Nephi quotes a large chunk of Isaiah chapters. This has always been a tough part of the scriptures to get through (let alone learn from), but this time around I approached it with a different goal. Instead of trying to get through it, I've tried to understand it. It's not an easy task, and I'm sure it takes much more than one go around. But as I've read it (side-by-side with a commentary from a favorite teacher of mine) I've been blessed to be able to see a little bit of the big picture of Isaiah's message.

There aren't too many authors that come so highly recommended by the Savior Himself. He told the Nephites:
...ye ought to search these things. Yea, a commandment I give unto you that ye search these things diligently; for great are the words of Isaiah. For surely he spake as touching all things concerning my people which are of the house of Israel; therefore it must needs be that he must speak also to the Gentiles. And all things that he spake have been and shall be, even according to the words which he spake. (3 Nephi 23:1-3)

That's quite the endorsement. Must be pretty important!

No comments: