Thursday, June 4, 2009

Opposite Goals

Today I was reading in 2 Nephi 24 (where Nephi quotes Isaiah 14), and a couple of things stood out to me: Obviously Satan seeks to gain followers. But we know from the scriptures that Satan will not support those who support (or obey) him (see Alma 30:60). So what is his goal? He is out to drag as many people as possible down to as low a point as he is at (sorry to end a sentence with a preposition). He wants to make everybody as miserable as he is (see 2 Nephi 2:27).
On the other hand, we know fully well what the Lord's work is (see Moses 1:39). He wants to bring as many people as possible to be where He is. He wants us to be with Him. He wants us to share in His joy and His blessings. He wants us to be like Him, to be with Him, and to have what He has. It shouldn't surprise me, I guess, but God and the devil have completely opposite goals. I guess it's just never hit me quite so hard.

No comments: