Monday, April 27, 2009

Scripture of the Week

This might be an ongoing feature, and it might not.

This morning I was reading in 1 Nephi (in the Book of Mormon) and I came across this little gem in chapter 17, verse 13:
And I will also be your light in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if it so be that ye shall keep my commandments; wherefore, inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall be led towards the promised land; and ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led.
Awesome stuff. For those of you who don't know, this is Nephi writing, a prophet-historian from about 600 B.C., as he and his family are journeying from Jerusalem to the promised land (or the Americas, as they most certainly were not known as then). It's always very inspiring to me to read of Nephi's courage and faith when it comes to certain commandments from the Lord that must have seemed daunting. Just like in 1 Ne. 3:7, he always shows a willingness to do whatever the Lord asks, because he knows that God won't leave us hanging; He will prepare a way for us to fulfill His commands.

Basically this verse is kinda helping bring the thought home that God is always there for us, ready to direct us to the happiness He has in store. Though the road may seem dark, or the sea may seem to stretch out forever, we need not fear; we're in good hands... the best hands.

No comments: