Friday, December 2, 2011

Christmas Spirit

Every year when Christmas rolls around it's been a tradition for me to get all anxious because I'm not excited enough. Much like another certain short, bald guy in "A Charlie Brown Christmas," I wonder why I'm not feeling the spirit of Christmas like I did as a kid.

But since I've been married my wife has introduced another tradition-- every day in December (leading up to Christmas) she gives me a tiny note with a thought or a scripture on it about Christ, and also a task given that is service-oriented. The intention there is to help me keep my thoughts centered on Christ, and keep me in a charitable mood. That will help me feel the Spirit, which is the spirit of Christmas.

My first task was to "make a list of goals for this month to help feel the Christmas spirit." Since this blog is sort of my spiritual journal, I decided to do that here.
  1. I want to focus this month on why Christmas is supposed to be a joyful time-- and that all starts with why the Savior's birth was such a joyful event.
  2. I want to serve others-- in small, simple ways, but also I'd like to find a bigger service project for someone in need. This will help me to think of others and to strive for charity.
  3. I want to pray every day that I can feel the Spirit this Christmas.
  4. I want to do fun Christmas-y things with my wife and kids.
So there you have it! Let me know if you have any suggestions or anything that's worked for you.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: